Saturday, March 3, 2012

Crispy Fish Tacos

I can't believe I forgot to post this to my blog.  *facepalm*  This is a recipe that I came up with early last year (2011), and added as a note to my FB page.  Then late last summer I started up my blog...and I *thought* I had transferred all my recipes over.  Woops, I was wrong.  ;)

Here's a quick, easy and tasty variation on tacos.  I've had them both ways - crispy and grilled, and I really prefer the crispy preparation.  Perfect for a busy family any time of the year because it's so easy, but we like to have these in the summer because of the cool crema sauce & crisp cabbage. (Not to mention it's an easy Friday dinner during Lent!)

Modifications -- The soft flour tortillas can be substituted with crunchy corn taco shells, if that's how you roll.  If you do use corn shells, as well as use gluten-free fish sticks, then this can be a good dish for those needing that specific dietary modification.

Enjoy!


Ingredients:
1 C Crema (Mexican cream, like Cacique)
C Mayonnaise
1 tsp ground cumin
½ tsp chili powder
1 Tbsp honey
½ tsp salt
1-2 tsp garlic powder
1 lime -- ½ squeezed for lime juice, ½ cut into wedges
24-32 Fish sticks (Gortons, Van de Kamps, etc., 3-4 per taco)
8 Soft Tacos (small or medium flour tortillas)
Medium or Hot Salsa (fresh is best, not in jars)
pre-cut cole slaw (shredded cabbage)
shredded cheddar cheese

Directions:
Crema sauce
Combine crema, mayo, chili powder, cumin, honey, salt and lime juice in a bowl. Whisk until well-blended. Place in an air-tight container and refrigerate.

Tacos
Line cookie sheet or jelly roll pan with parchment paper to prevent sticking. Lay fish sticks out on pan, 3-4 per taco, depending on the size of the sticks.  Lightly sprinkle fish sticks with garlic powder.  Heat them up according to instructions on the package until they're very crispy. When sticks are nearly done, heat up tortillas: lay a damp paper towel on them and microwave for about a minute until warm. Assemble tacos with tortilla and fish sticks; garnish with cheese, salsa, crema sauce and shredded cabbage. If desired, squeeze a lime wedge over tacos. Enjoy!


Serves 4 -- 2 tacos per person. (If making for less than 4, leftover crema can be refrigerated and used up to a week after.)

~~~~~~
GBAdams
03/11/2011

No comments:

Post a Comment