Thursday, November 17, 2011

Strawberry Dream Pie

I came up with this recipe because I found a good deal on some strawberries and was trying to think of a different way of using them.  When I went looking for a dream pie recipe, all the ones I found included using gelatin.  While that in itself is not necessarily bad, in my opinion for a recipe like this, it is an unnecessary step.  So this recipe uses NO gelatin! Just sugar, strawberries, arrowroot, whipped cream, and a pre-made pie crust.  Now, this is not nearly as simple or quick as that 5-Min No-Bake Pumpkin Cheesecake I came up with, but it's really not that far off.  ;)

Originally I made this pie for Miss Julia's (my son's daycare provider) birthday. She & her family (including 2 teen boys) have been generously taste-testing my baked goodies as I created them for this blog.  But I wanted to give to her for her birthday something that was light, fruity, and not overtly sweet. :)  I think I scored with this one.  I can only imagine that it'll also be ideal as a summer dessert, with the combination of strawberries and whipped cream... :)



Ingredients:
1 pint strawberries
1 C sugar
1 Tbsp thickening agent - arrowroot or corn starch
1½ C heavy whipping cream
4 packets non-sugar sweetener (like Splenda) or 2 Tbsp powdered sugar
1 ready-made shortbread pie crust


Directions:
Wash & remove leaves from strawberries.  Cut up entire pint by halves or quarters.


Put cut strawberries in a large saucepan, add sugar and thickening agent.  Heat saucepan on high until sugar dissolves; turn heat down to medium-high and simmer until fruit has softened and sauce is bubbling, about 15 minutes.  Be sure to stir constantly. 




Once fruit has softened and sauce has thickened, remove from heat and cool completely, minimum 2 hours.  (To speed cool, immerse saucepan in a large mixing bowl full of icewater and stir strawberry sauce for 10 minutes until completely cooled.)

While strawberry sauce is cooling, place whipping cream into mixing bowl.  Add sweetener.  Using the whisk attachment, beat whipping cream on high speed until cream has thickened and is stiff.  Set aside and refrigerate. 


When strawberry sauce has cooled off completely, take whipped cream out and fold sauce into the cream using a spatula (do not use whisk).  Blend well. 


Pour mixture into pie crust and spread evenly. Can serve immediately or cover & refrigerate and serve later.



Makes 6-8 servings.

~~~~~
GBAdams
11/02/2011

No comments:

Post a Comment