Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Germ's Super-Moist Nana Bread

One of my earliest memories of my mom baking is of her banana bread.  I love my mom with all my heart, and she is by no means an accomplished baker (it's true, you can ask her!), however, I always remember her banana bread being sooooooooo good.  When I started to cook/bake for myself in college, I asked her for some of her recipes.  However, this was not one she chose to share with me until after I was out of school and was married & moved out.  Once I got my hands on the recipe, I tweaked it by jacking up the banana goodness to 11, and then later adjusting for high altitude. 

I call this "Nana Bread" not only because "nana" is short for banana, but also because my mom is called "Nana" by her grandchildren, and this is my tribute to her.  :)  Often I give these and my pumpkin breads away at Christmastime for gifts, not just to neighbors and local friends, but also to friends & family who are thousands of miles away.  My own little way of spreading love & holiday cheer.  I hope you, too, enjoy the end result.  :)



Ingredients:
Dry
2 C Flour (unbleached, all-purpose)
1 C Sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
½ C chopped nuts (walnuts or pecans) – optional

Liquid
2 whole eggs, slightly beaten
½ C melted butter (1 stick) or canola oil
C milk (can be substituted with soy milk)
3-4 (up to 5, depending on size) very ripe bananas (spotty ones are best)
4 tsp vanilla extract

Prep:
Preheat oven to 350°.  Thoroughly grease (or spray w/cooking spray) 1 large, 2 medium-sized or 4 mini loaf pans

Directions:
Mix together sugar, flour, baking soda and salt.  Set aside.  Mash the bananas as well as possible, ensuring there are no large lumps left.  Consistency should be relatively smooth.  To the dry mix, add the eggs, butter and milk.  Stir until everything is moistened, then add the mashed bananas; combine well. 


Add the vanilla and mix well.  If nuts are desired, add these after the vanilla has been incorporated.  Pour into large loaf pan, if using medium or mini loaf pans, divide mixture evenly between the pans. 


Bake for at least 1 hour or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.

















Makes about 12 servings.

High altitude:
Bake for minimum 1 hour 15 minutes.

~~~~~~
GBAdams
01/06/2008

No comments:

Post a Comment